Sunday, March 13, 2016

GUOTSBE: The Disney Princess Book Tag

Hello, hello and Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend...& that youʻre all ready for the week ahead. I, for one, am...maybe? Iʻm not really sure yet, haha. Ah well, may as well kick this week off with yet another Get Up Offa That Slump Blogging Extravaganza (hereafter known as GUOTSBE) post!

Todayʻs prompts from our lovely hostess, Rachel, are doing a reading challenge or ʻif you were a fictional characterʻ. Iʻm chose to do a challenge since Iʻve been planning on doing one on the blog for a while but never got around to it. Because Iʻm true to my Disney roots, Iʻm doing the Disney Princess challenge by Of Stacks and Cups!


Snow White - Name your favorite Classic
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
I first read this book during the summer before my freshman year of high school and I loved it, but it wasnʻt until I was a lot older and I understand what it was like to be invisible because of who I am based on my gender or the color of my skin that I truly understood and could connect to this book. This is a really powerful book about racism, but I think anyone who has felt invisible for whatever reason can relate to the story. I also think that this story is more prevalent now than ever before...READ IT NOW (if you havenʻt already).


Cinderella - Name a book that kept you reading well past your bedtime
Wolf by Wolf  by Ryan Graudin
The  number one contender for the best book Iʻve read so far this year is also the book that kept me up half the night...even though one of my bookish goals this year is to go to bed at a reasonable time no matter how good the book is. I just could not put this book down! I now recommend it to everyone I know.

Aurora - Name your favorite classic romance
 
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Honestly, I donʻt read a lot of classics or romances, but I read this one during my first year in college and liked it quite a bit! 


Ariel - Name a book thatʻs about making sacrifices & fighting for your dreams
The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
*Sigh* This book. I loved this book and I couldnʻt stop thinking about it for this category, though it may not fit exactly. This is a cancer book and the MC has a "flamingo list" which is basically her bucket list. Cam and her family end up sacrificing a lot for Camʻs cancer, but she never stops going for what she wants....and thatʻs checking off her flamingo list.

Belle - Name a book with a smart & independent female character
 
Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler
There are so many strong, smart, and independent female characters in the YA world, so there was a lot to choose from, but I think that Mina Dietrich is probably an underrated character so I went with her. Mina is a teenager who conceives a baby via immaculate conception, she then chooses to keep the baby all while dealing with drama from her friends, family, and the community. She continuously does what is best for her baby and I admire that about her. To me, she is a great example of a smart & independent female character.

Jasmine - Name a book with a character who challenged the social conventions of his/her world
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
I mean...do I even need to explain myself? Cyborg, Lunar, fugitive runaway? Yeah...she definitely challenges the social conventions of her world.


Pocahontas - Name a book whose ending was a roller coaster of emotions
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Honestly, this entire book was an emotional roller coaster, but the ending was particularly heart wrenching.


Mulan - Name a book with a kick ass female character
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Kady Grant is the basically the epitome of kick ass female character. Iʻll leave out the spoilers just in case you havenʻt read it yet (to which I say: WHATʻS STOPPING YOU?!?!), but trust me...she is BAD ASS.

Tiana - Name a book featuring a hardworking, self made character
Dumplinʻ by Julie Murphy
I didnʻt enjoy Dumplinʻ quite as much as other people did, but I did enjoy Willowdean. She is smart and funny, but mostly she works her butt off. I loved seeing a YA character who actually worked and in a fast food restaurant, no less! She may not be completely self made just yet, but the girl has lots ahead of her!

Rapunzel - Name a book that features an artist
 
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
My sweet Josh <3! I love that child so much. Also, he is an artist. It works.


Merida - Name a book that features a mother/daughter relationship
 
Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern
Once again, no spoilers....mostly because I havenʻt finished the book myself and canʻt give any spoilers, but I love the mother-daughter relationship in this book!


Anna & Elsa - Name a book that features a great relationship between siblings
 
After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Laurenʻs relationship with her brother and sister are super sweet and I love how we get to watch it grow throughout the story. This book is about Lauren and Ryan, a married couple who decide to take a year off because theyʻre having relationship struggles, but this is more than just a story about romantic love. As I said, I love how we get to see Laurenʻs relationship with her siblings grow!


*BONUS* Moana - Name a book that features a journey
 
The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
Surprise bonus round! Even though Moana isnʻt out in theaters until later this year, I had to add my girl to the princess line up! In case you canʻt tell, Iʻm so excited for a Polynesian princess! My kid wonʻt have to ask why there arenʻt any princesses that  look like her! Anyway...moving on...The Girl From Everywhere is a story about time-traveling pirates and it takes place partially in old Hawaii, mythical China, and even modern day NYC. Plus, they use a boat to travel-which is also how Moana will be doing all of her adventuring in her movie!

I TAG: all of you--if you want to do it of course! If you choose to do it, please link me to your answers! Have you read any of the books on my list? Or do have suggestions for me that fit the categories? Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment