Friday, November 27, 2015

Baby's First Thanksgiving Art!

If you know me in real life, then you know these two very important things about me:

1. I am a pre-school teacher.
2. I love art and crafting.

Because of those two things, I freaking live for Pinterest. I've been on Pinterest since it's beta stages and I love, love, love it. It's my favorite brand of social media.

Annnyway...I've been pinning holiday art (and a whole bunch of other things) to do with kids for years now. It's been fun doing those things with my favorite little pre-schoolers, but I am so excited to finally be able to do fun art things with my own kid. I think that art is so important and I really want Honey to grow to love art and creating as much as I do. So I decided that it was time to make let her do her very first piece of art--Thanksgiving themed of course.

Since Honey is only 4 months old, a lot of the projects on Pinterest were a little too advanced for her but I knew that I wanted her to make a turkey. I found the cutest hand and foot print turkey that would be perfect. It was minimal work on her part and I knew that it would be something to treasure forever. I wondered what it will be like to look back on it when she's grown and to see how small her hands and feet were....but I digress. So, I decided to do it on Wednesday--Josh doesn't work on Wednesdays and I figured we'd need all hands on deck.


Well...it turns out that she was a bit of a fuss bucket on Wednesday and doing the art wasn't going to be as easy-peasy as I planned--which I should have known just by looking at that face. But alas, we pushed on. She cried and I ended up having to nurse her while simultaneously painting her hands/feet and pressing it on to the canvas but we survived! And the finished project came out so cute (but a little messy--an honest reflection of Little Miss at 4 months old), see:


It's so, so easy! I know it's a little late, but I still highly recommend doing this with your little one. The instructions are on the blog linked above, but I'll share 'em here, too!

You'll Need: 
Red, Orange, Yellow, and Brown Paint (I used Horizon Group Acrylic Paint--it's non-toxic and Puffy Paint)
Canvas or Cardstock
Paintbrush

What to Do:
1. The website suggests dipping baby's hand in the paint, but I actually painted the paint on to her hands. It gave us the opportunity to speak to her about what she was feeling ("Does that tickle?" "Does that paint feel cold?" "It's squishy, isn't it?). Of course, we had to ask that over her screaming so it didn't really work out but I like having the opportunity to use different words and creating new interactions. 
2. Stamp baby's hand print 4-5 times across the canvas. Decrease by one stamp with each color you add. Let dry for a minute or two in between stamping. This will create the turkey's feathers.
3. Dip or paint baby's foot with the brown paint. Stamp foot in the middle of the 'feathers' to create the turkey's body. Let dry.
4. I then used the puff paint in black, red, orange, and yellow to create a little feather tuft on top of turkey's head (orange), eyes (black), a beak (yellow), and the turkey's snoods (yep, that's really what they're called...I googled it.) with red. Let dry.
5. Tie it all together with a Thanksgiving message, the year, and/or baby's name!

There ya have it, a fun and easy task for even your littlest baby. Obviously, our version of this fun project didn't come out perfect but that's okay--it's perfect in it's own right!

0 comments:

Post a Comment